My Brush Storage


I should start off by saying the amount of brushes I need to store is quite humble, however I have invested a lot of time and money into my beauties, and it's only fair I not only treat them well, but provide them with accommodations worthy of their stature.


I had a couple of key points I needed to follow in the design of my bespoke case, I won't go into too much detail, but practicality was very important, on many levels (ease of use as well as ease of creation with the non specialized equipment I had at my disposal). Even though I tried to break down the product design to be as simple and elegant as a classical physics formula, it was still incredibly laborious and took over two months to make from start to finish (partly due to my working a lot and spending what little time off I had on not much more than sleeping, eating, doing laundry etc and going back to work. There were long periods throughout those months that I simply had no energy or motivation for anything at all). Up until the very last stitches, which as always happen past midnight, when your productivity is not exactly brilliant anymore, I wasn't sure if it was going to be usable at all. I kept beating myself up about a few millimeters here and there that weren't perfect and was afraid those mistakes would be the only thing I'd see. Thankfully, they're not. I have to say I'm really happy with how it turned out.






I did make some impractical decisions, for example the fabric – it's a natural linen with a metallic coating, which is very beautiful, however, linen gets wrinkly immediately after you take the iron away from it, and the coating gets ruined/melted/dims if you apply any heat at all to it. Personally, I quite like the slightly rough and soft look of it, and despite the coating wearing off where ironed or folded, I think it adds an almost antique feel to it, so that doesn't bother me. Also, I chose the placement of the embroidery just based on which composition looked good to me, but now that I actually use the case, I realize I should have considered how the item would be held and placed the motifs away from where my fingers rest on it. It's not uncomfortable, just something to consider in the future for a better feel and to protect the beading.





Other than that, I think my little collection can be very pleased with their new home. There's still room for new additions, whenever/if ever they come, but for now I use the empty space to store other everyday essentials like my Touche Éclat, Shiseido eyebrow pencil(s) and Kanebo mascara. Since I'm rather pressed for space, I don't have a vanity or room in the bathroom to store my beauty items, but am also obsessed with organizing, I really wanted to store my brushes in a way that kept them safe from dust, where they'd be easily accessible, in something that would travel well and would look fantastic, since I just keep it out on my desk. Mission accomplished I think =)! 

Comments

Popular Posts