Are they worth it? Estée Lauder, Chanel, Clinique...

Somewhere past the point of first impressions and before an item is used up, there is a moment at which I feel like I've gotten a close to accurate impression of a product, which may or may not compel me to rant or rave about it. Under the microscope this time are the Estée Lauder Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick in Potent, the Chanel Rouge Coco Shine in Candeur and the Clinique Quickliner For Eyes Intense in Intense Chocolate.

I'm going to cut to the chase immediately, I don't care for any of these products. There. Now that that's out of the way, where to begin... 

The product I'd been lusting after the longest had been a Rouge Coco Shine lipstick. I'd wanted one for years! Every time I'd walk past a counter, the display would stop me in my tracks and suck me into a swatch-fest. There was something about the beautiful, delicate colours and the demure little packaging that was like a siren song to me. You'd think my biggest problem was picking just one of the pastel tones to go home with and call my own. Well, yes and no. Picking one was hard, but not because I wanted all of them, but because they all looked the same, and that same wasn't anything I was too eager to wear.
Literally years went by until I finally succumbed and picked a colour, 68 Candeur, thus satisfying my craving. I knew it was sheer, “but that's okay,” I thought, “it'll be like a balm, an extremely over-priced balm, that I'll use on and off again to feel special”. The day I got this lipstick, but before I had had the chance to wear it, I came across a review, and then another one, that didn't favour the formula at all. I'd never heard of anyone saying the Rouge Coco Shines were... drying? Preposterous! Couldn't be! Well... I sadly have to join the unpopular club for whom this lipstick formula is not pleasant to use. I could forgive the sheerness and exaggerated price tag, but not the uncomfortable formula. 

It is the most confusing thing. It's very wet, wetter than a YSL Rouge Volupté Shine, but it's like that moisture is completely superficial. It doesn't feel even remotely hydrating while the application is fresh, and when it dries down, which happens very fast, it feels like it's sucked out and taken every bit of moisture in your lips with it. 

I'm disappointed that it's turned out to be a waste of money, but especially, that I dread reaching for it, which I still do, because no way in hell am I letting a Chanel lipstick go to waste! I do have to have a very hydrating, emollient lip balm on hand on days I wear this, and take turns applying the Rouge Coco Shine and the balm, so my lips don't get wrecked. I would highly recommend opting for a YSL Rouge Volupté Shine instead, which though sheer, still packs enough pigment to actually show up on your lips, while being forgiving enough to apply without a mirror. It's also actually hydrating! The best part about getting the Candeur is curing my obsession with the Rouge Coco Shines, and the opportunity to replace it with a beloved YSL when it's gone! 

Next up, Estée Lauder's Pure Color Envy Sculpting lipstick in Potent. This was an impulse buy. These lipsticks had been all over blogs and youtube, and I figured, if I find a colour I like, I'll get one. Most of the colours are medium to dark shades, something I don't wear. I found Potent, and it seemed like a contender for my “everyday nude” category. 

I actually have a favourite in this category, the YSL Rouge Volupté, original formula, nr 1 Nude Beige. I'd had two of them when they suddenly stopped carrying the original formula in my region (now we only get the Shines and Candy), so I've been on a casual hunt to fill that void for a number of years. I thought Potent reminded me of Nude Beige, which it does, they are similar. However, I also own something that it resembles much, much closer. In fact, I'm going to call it a 95% dupe. 

The Smashbox Be Legendary lipstick in Posy Pink! The only difference is the Smashbox doesn't smell like plastic vanilla, it has sleeker packaging (Ooh! Magnetic cap! Colour me dazzled! No. To me the Lauder bullet is oddly sized and feels too big and awkward, I can't pop the cap off one handed like I usually do, and it feels like something I've stolen out of my great aunt Mildred's satchel, ergo Smashbox wins every time), Potent has ever so slightly more slip upon application, but the texture and wear are identical. The finish is identical. The mediocre hydration properties, too, are identical.  Finally, if you've read my similar post on Posy Pink, you might have guessed that the feathering, wind-burnt lips look I get with the Smashbox, indeed, makes an appearance with Potent as well. 

The formula isn't drying, but if I were to blind test it, I'd say it was some unremarkable cheap lipstick that's just okay for around 5€. If that were the case, it really would be an okay product for what it was. But it's not, it's a high-end lipstick, and I can't, in all sanity, say it performs like a luxury item should. Sorry. I know it has a lot of fans, but for me, it is a sub-average product in a nice box with fancy advertising. End of.

Finally, the Clinique Quickliner Intense. Oh my god... I need a moment. Ok, I've composed myself. This eyeliner in Intense Chocolate is yet another one I've tried in my tireless search for the perfect brown eyeliner (guys, I'm kind of getting discouraged at this point), which is going to be a post in and of itself at some point down the line. The formula isn't miserable, I've used worse, it's the bloody contraption its incased in that makes me wan't to hurt its designer, both with words and fists. 

The perfectly adequate formula truly pales in comparison to the abysmal mechanism they've put it in. This is my first twist-up, mechanical, whatever-you-want-to-call-it pencil. I personally prefer wooden pencils. I like them because I'm able to get a sharp point to actually create graphic lines with, and they come with much more product. As it were, I had exhausted the “perfect brown eyeliner” candidates that came in my preferred design, and the next ones that seemed to swatch best, were all automatic. I was actually going to get a Dior one in Chatain-something, because its swatch wore like iron on my hand, but they were right in the process of discontinuing it when I went to buy it, literally putting away the testers, so I went for my second choice, the Clinique. 

I'd heard pencils like this existed, but as I am so inexperienced in owning any, it never occurred to me that this might be one of the ones you could twist up, but not down. Lucifer infused dragon tears, WHY?? Why would ANYONE make a product like that??? EVER?! I bet it's a one dollar or less added manufacturing cost to make the blasted thing twist down, so for goodness sake, just charge me a dollar more Clinique! I've wasted so much product, breaking it off when doing my best to put the cap on without nicking the tip. Oh, and the two caps are different sizes, so, you have to make sure you don't accidentally reach for the one that's meant for the smudger, like I have, because that one's bigger, and you'll just slam the pencil right into the very end of the cap, along with aaaaaall that precious product, which you get a miniscule amount of in the first place. 

I have other relevant thoughts about this pencil, but I'll restrain myself for now and leave them for the dedicated post on brown eyeliners. I feel compelled to mention thought, that the product Dior replaced the mechanical water-proof eyeliner with, the new Diorshow Pro Liner Waterproof with the slanted tip, doesn't twist down either, despite their website claiming otherwise (throws hands in the air). Retractible means your product should come out to play, and then go back home when you're done, Dior, and your tester did not. 

So, it's a bit of a rant-heavy post this time. As always, I do hope someone will find it as useful, as I do cathartic. Cheers and until next time! 

Comments

Popular Posts