Happy 2021!

We made it! Just barely... It's been an unusual year, to say the least. A year of uncertainty, mixed emotions and emotional rollercoasters. Just because there's a new number in the calendar that will take a while to get used to writing, doesn't mean that last year's problems have magically been solved and it's all better now. The issues are ongoing, but even this placebo effect of regeneration is very welcome!

Let's be frank, the world is a mess right now, and telling people we must “have patience, it's almost over,” would be fine, if we hadn't heard it all before and weren't so familiar with taking one step forward and three steps back. I think people's patience (especially for those who've adhered to government recommendations very strictly) has worn thin and whatever trust there is left between us, has become very fragile. While normalcy seems to still be an eternity away, I want to focus on things I'm looking forward to this year, and things I'm grateful for from last year.


One of the things I'm truly grateful for was a package from Tokyo I received early last July. I was meant to get it in March, but then business trips got postponed and eventually canceled, indefinitely. My package, the contents of which had been kindly procured by a dear colleague, was in limbo. After months of false hope, eventually another colleague of mine was traveling here for leisure and was able to deliver my poor package. I know neither of them will read this, but I'm sure they know how grateful I am for all the trouble they went through for me.

The package included some eyebrow pencils – my favourites from the first time I got some Tokyo treats, the famous Hada Labo lotion – the classic for me, and the anti-aging one for my mom, and two sunscreens I've heard so much about – the Bioré UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence SPF 50+ PA++++ and Hada Labo Koi-Gokujyun UV White Gel SPF 50+ PA++++. The excitement I got from receiving this package was nothing short of Christmas in July! 

My mom has been loving the Gokujyn Alpha Lotion and has been much more sparing with the product than me (she's only used up a third). My Gokujyun Hyaluronic Acid Lotion is nearly gone and I've just recently ordered some more on Yesstyle. 

I'll have to report back on the sunscreens. I've used them both briefly, because I have no patience, but as I bought quite a few sunscreens last year, at some point I needed to commit to using one up before dipping into the next. The Hada Labo seems like it's best suited for oily skin, as it's quite matifying, and the Bioré would be best for normal to dry skin (or for oily skin during winter).

I'm excited about having lovely meals at restaurants, going to concerts and seeing plays, getting dressed up and socializing. I've decided to not buy any more sweatshirts or black clothes, unless it's to replace something that's worn out or to add something I don't yet have (like smart black trousers – I desperately want a pair or two, but it's so difficult to find ones that fit). I absolutely forbid myself to buy any more little black dresses. I have more than enough! I want – dare I say it – COLOUR! I want to get some more comfortable tops, ones that still look business, and I'm looking at various shades of red – bright tomato, cherry, burgundy and rust; greens – moss, forest, emerald, aquamarine; colour blocking, stripes etc. My wardrobe is mostly grey, black and denim, which means I perfectly match my surroundings, and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of the murky, repetitive and mundane. And I'm actually going to do something about it – I'm stalking the sales as I write. 

Anyway, I hope last year wasn't all doom and gloom, and I sincerely wish you a beautiful 2021, full of happiness, health, success and freedom.

P.S. I've also started an Instagram page to complement the blog, so feel free to check it out :)

OR 

Comments

Popular Posts