Fall Shadows


I hadn't bought a new eyeshadow since February. That's when my Isadora pink champagne, all over the lid shade got used up, and I became indecisive (shocking). For years and years that's been my entire eyelook – nude shimmery shade all over, mascara and eyebrow pencil. Voila! My main point of obsession has always been foundation and powder, but now since my skin situation was improving, I slowly started to develop a taste and curiosity for eyeshadows. Already the Isadora was my first step towards the new adventure, since I'd been repurchasing the same Muffin shade from Makeup Store forever, but ever since they changed their packaging, the lid has broken off on every single one I've bought, so now I say “no more!”... I looked at some The Balm shadows, some Couleur Caramels and so forth and eventually gravitated towards Dior

Now this is interesting. I haven't liked any Dior makeup in a very long time – my first nice mascara and eyeliner pencil were theirs, my first high end eyeshadow duo as well, and I found them quite disappointing so I sort of stayed clear of the brand subconsciously. But this was all 8-10 years ago, water under the bridge, and I have to say, the direction their beauty line is in now, is right up my alley! The packaging is different, the formulas and most importantly, the shade range too have changed. It has an understated, luxurious glamour about it, very much a “less is more” approach, which I love. So impressed was I that I decided to not buy any midrange shadows and instead embarked on a mission to use up ones that I simply wasn't, for a multitude of reasons (there will be a separate post about that), meaning four out of six that I own (I don't have a lot and I hate clutter, but even though I wasn't using them, I couldn't live with getting something new knowing these would just be uselessly taking up space, no, they had to go first). Once this condition was fulfilled, I would reward myself with something really nice and high end for replacements. Well. It's not as easy as it sounds.

For some reason, products you don't particularly care for take at least 2-3 times longer to use up than something you like, even with daily use (modern day mystery). Every day I applied some variation of those four starting last winter, then all of spring, all of summer and most of fall. I felt overjoyed when I hit pan on one of them. But honestly, it's like they regenerate themselves! Finally, I couldn't take it, I felt like this task would never end. I needed motivation, I needed a treat, so I bought one new shadow. I convinced myself I simply wanted to buy it, but wouldn't actually use it until I hit pan on something else. Well, that didn't work out. Then I fell in love with a palette and went back and forth about getting it, but mid-confusion, a miracle happened. I saw a spec of pan on my largest and oldest eyeshadow and took it as a sign and direct permission to get the palette!

Diorshow Mono single eyeshadow in #760 Tweed.


Diorshow Fusion Mono cream eyeshadow in #381 Millenium / Guerlain Écrin 4 Couleurs in #08 Les Perlés / Kanebo Sensai 38C Lengthening and Separating mascara (yes, I realize that's not an eyeshadow, but that wasn't the purpose of the group shot and sadly that's all I have for now).


Anyway, this is a bit of a backstory to the eyeshadows I've gotten over the past few months. As I couldn't control myself and not use them until I'd taken proper, nice pictures to share here, I'm happy I took at least some the day I got them to sort of show what they looked like untouched (by this point some of them have been ravaged, and yes, I'm blushing). This is just a quick overview, because I do want to do some demo/review posts, but the products in those wouldn't have nice, clean surfaces or fully intact logo embossing, so that's the purpose of this post. Hope you like it and have something to look forward to seeing in action in the coming weeks =). 

Comments

Popular Posts